Thursday, July 14, 2005

Cinderella Man

Cinderella Man We saw Cinderella Man today.  Boy that Russell Crow sure can throw a punch!


It's the story of James J. Braddock, a boxer from New Jersey during the depression in the 1930's.  It's a Ron Howard film, so you know it's schmaltzy.  Braddock is the underdog representing all the down and outers, and he wins - no surprise there.  Renee Zellweger plays his wife very well, and Paul Giamatti (remember "Sideways"?), plays his manager very well.  The final fight is against Max Bear, played by Craig Bierko, who looks positively murderous here.


Even through there was way too much boxing in it for my taste, I liked this movie.  I'd give it a B+.  The grade would have been higher, but I couldn't watch all of the fighting so I missed about 33% of the dramatic scenes.



No comments:

Post a Comment