Friday, July 22, 2005

Dog Days

The Free Dictionary says "Dog Days" is "the hot period between early July and early September; a period of inactivity".  I guess that means that "Dog Days of Summer" is a redundant phrase?  Anyway, this is definitely a Period of Inactivity.



I did stir myself to go for a walk with Jan this morning before the sun came up.  Last night was cool, all the way down to the high 60's, so the walk was positively pleasant.  I would say that one could smell the summer blooms as we walked through the neighborhood, but all I could smell was my bug repellent....



Mosquitoes carry West Nile Virus, and we have lots of mosquitoes here in the North Sacramento Valley.  They hatch in the standing water in the local waterways, people's back yards, and rice paddies.  The evening news shows gross pictures of swarms of mosquitoes and warns, in very strong terms, of the dangers of the virus - especially for older people.  I would have thought that bats would be good mosquito eaters; however, the info I found says that if you have a bat house and bats, then you need to worry about rabies.  Jeez, there are just too many things to worry about!



PS: Walking and swinging my arm didn't bother my shoulder - more good news.



PPS: Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.



No comments:

Post a Comment