Thursday, July 21, 2005

NeesiePie's Socks

Knitting on the Road I'm making a pair of socks for Vanese.  The pattern is from Nancy Bush's "Knitting on the Road: Sock Patterns for the Traveling Knitter".  The Pattern is called Conwy, named after a town in Gwynedd, the medieval kingdom of Owain Glyndwr, in Northern Wales.  I'm working a special charm into these socks, just for Vanese, and I'm not telling what it is :-)




Conwy Socks I'm using Regia "Silk" sock yarn (55% new wool, 20% silk, 25% polyamide), purchased in Heidelburg, Germany, while on vacation this Spring.  It's really, really soft, and with the polyamide thrown in it will wear well too.  So far I have one sock top done, and I'm almost finished with the second.



The color on this picture is closer to the real thing than the next one.  In the next picture it's washed out so you can see the stitches a little better.




Conwy St Pattern The stitch pattern is called a "Twining Cable Pattern", which is a K3, P1 rib, with a cable worked in the K3 part.  The cable is just one stitch over the other and doesn't require a cable needle.  Barbara Walker calls these "Traveling Stitches".  To cross right you "knit into second st on left needle, knit first st, slip both sts of needle".  To cross left you "knit into second st on left needle through the back loop, knit first st, slip both sts off needle".  I've done socks like this before, but not this exact 3X1 rib.  They're turning out nicely.




PS: I tried knitting today for the first time after my shoulder operation... no pain!  So, it looks like I can go ahead and finish this project.  But... what will I do next?  Oh, yes, a baby blanket for Kim the haircutter who is having her Second child, a girl this time.



No comments:

Post a Comment