Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Fall in the neighborhood

I went outside to take pictures of the beginning of Fall, before the leaves all go woomph onto the ground.



Fall Ivy
Our mailboxes It's
Fall by the Mailboxes, and it's starting to be Fall in the garden as well.  The picture on the left is a closeup of the ivy growing on the fence.  The tree with the red leaves is a plum tree that makes beautiful flowers in the Spring.



Speaking of mailboxes, I have a friend who lives in the little town of Aptos, CA, near a state park.  She says her mailboxes are being vandalized and the mail stolen.  Since she lives in a condo I assume their mailboxes are like mine (pictured right).  Can you imagine that it's going to cost $5K to move their 49 mailboxes to a safer location?  It sounds like a lot of money to me, but then again, I think $2.81 (USD) is a lot of money to pay for a gallon of gas.  I wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper and maybe more fun to install surveillance cameras at the existing mailboxes in order to catch the creeps doing the damage!


Pistachio Berries I've been told this is a Pistachio tree.  I thought maybe it would make pistachio nuts for me.  No such luck.  This is a pistacia atlantica (aka "Mount Atlas Pistache").  I have three of them growing in full sun, providing shade for the afternoon hot side of the house - or at least there will be shade in a few years.  In the Fall the females make these little red berries which the migrating flickers (I think) just love.  Maybe someday I'll capture one of the birds in pixel form.


Yellow Rose
Stuffed Pumpkin The roses are still blooming... the red, pink, double delight and yellow.  They are happy in this brief time between blistering hot and too cold to grow.  Can Halloween be far off?  The stuffed pumpkin on the right is the only pumpkin in residence so far, unless you count the ceramic pumpkin that has a bag of candy in it.  Said ceramic pumpkin is by the front door where it doesn't get noticed very much and so far has evaded treat seeking hands.



Well, that's the state of the house.  I hope you are all having a nice day.



No comments:

Post a Comment