First: Top Down Sweater; insert is stitch marker made by me. Color is close to reality. Second: close up of cable which is hard to see. Color is washed out to help show cable. Pictures taken December, 2002. (Yarn = Lion Brand WoolEase)
I went to a meeting of local Chico knitters today. It was fun and inspiring. Since I don't have any other projects going right this minute, when I got home I decided to pick up a project that has been waiting for some attention since January of 2003!
It's a top down sweater with a cable that runs from the neck, over the shoulders, and down the sleeves. To make the sweater you start at the shoulders, work down to the hem, then the neck finishing is done. Next the sleeves are added. I stopped at the point where I would pick up stitches and work the sleeves down from the top. I don't know why I stopped, but I think it had something to do with being afraid that the sleeves would look awful because I've never done a set in sleeve cap before. Also, the yarn isn't the greatest, but it's okay for a sweater that will turn into a sweatshirt type thing.
Since 2003 it sat there and it sat there. When I unfolded it this evening it was a little fuzzy and had some embedded cat hair. I couldn't find my notes and the needles were long ago taken for other projects. I plunged in, guessing at a size 8 needle.
It turns out that working the short rows in the sleeve cap is simpy.
This is going to make a great gardening sweater for the Fall!