Friday, November 18, 2005

Top Down Failure & Spiral Hat

Top Down Failure The picture on the left shows my Top Down Failure.  One of the sleeve caps is still on the sweater, but the other sleeve cap is in a spaghetti-like pile next to it.  I decided to give up on the thing.  I've been not working on it for years.  I don't like the yarn.  Recently I was feeling virtuous so I picked it up and started to add sleeves to the body.  Without realizing it I had screwed up the cable on one of the arms so it didn't match the rest of the sweater.  When I picked up for the sleeve caps, I picked up a different number of stitches for each arm, so the sleeves were not right.  Did I say I don't like the yarn?



So, the most charitable thing I can do is give all the yarn and the unfinished sweater to somebody else.  Does anybody want some Lion Brand Wool-Ease yarn and an unfinished sweater?



EZ Spiral Hat Opininionated Knitter I went to a knitting get together today... the Chico Social Knitters Club, which meets at the Heartstrings Yarn Studio.  Since I had nothing on the needles because I had given up on the sweater, I was free to pick up some yarn for the hat on the left which is Elizabeth Zimmermann's Spiral Hat from her Fall, 1967, Newsletter.  Her newsletters have been republished in a book called The Opinionated Knitter.  What a wonderful designer, knitter, and writer she was!


Blue Spiral Hat The picture here is my version of it in the new yarn I picked up yesterday.  The yarn is an alpaca/wool blend so it's a little fuzzy, but it is lopi-ish, which is the yarn recommended in the EZ's newsletter.  The yarn is Nashua Handknits - Creative Focus Chunky.  It knits up loosely on US 10.5 needles.  The needles called for on the yarn label are US 9s.  The color, which is a little darker than my digital camera represents, is called Delft.  It's soft and easy to work with, and so far there have been no knots.



I'm hoping that it will hold it's shape well enough once it is finished and washed.  It's 75% Wool and only 25% Alpaca, so it should.



No comments:

Post a Comment