Saturday, December 17, 2005

Head gear

I finished Bill's headband.  It was really, really easy:  Do a provisional cast on, knit 'til ears are covered, do a purl row for folding, knit same length again (minus one row), do second purl row, knit one row and then remove provisional cast on and kitchener stitch the beginning with the end.  It makes a nice double thick and warm head band.



Double Thick Headband




AAA And now Leslie's tam is being blocked.  I took the instructions from my favorite book about tams, Knitted Tams, by Mary Rowe.  This book was published in 1989, but it's still good - heads haven't changed shape very much.  I did a basic tam with a tubular cast on, instructions all written out very clearly in the book.  Easy.



I had a couple of balls of Debbie Bliss "cashmerino aran" yarn (55% Merino wool, 33% Microfibre, 12% Cashmere - 50G balls) in a light gray.  It's easy to work with and feels great, very soft.  I did a gauge swatch using US 9 needles, but ended up doing the tam on size US 8s, because I wanted a little tighter feel.



Here are two pictures of the tam, one of the top and one of the brim.  It's blocking on a dinner plate.  It took me less than a day.  Tams are really fast.  I'm assuming the intended recipient will be happy, but I am going to put a note in that says if she doesn't like it, then please pass it on to somebody who will.



tamTam brim



No comments:

Post a Comment