Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Maggi MacPhee (1931 - 2005)

Maggi MacPhee



My dear friend, Maggi MacPhee, passed away December 13th.  I'll miss her. 



That should be enough to say, but just in case you are reading this, Maggi, I'll go on just a bit.



Thanks for your daily notes.  I'll have to get used to hearing you in my head instead of reading you on the screen.



You were the reason I started this weblog.  I thought I could keep you entertained with pictures.  You are my biggest cheer leader.  I think nobody else reads this drivel, and if they do perhaps they just don't care enough to comment with the same kindness that you did.  You were a real friend to me. 



Yes, a friend... how long has it been?  We met in the early 1970s, so I guess we've known each other for about 30 years.  When I met you you were one of the most frightening people in my department at IBM.  Your temper was legendary.  As the years went by I figured out your temper was mostly bluster.  Still, you did not suffer fools quietly :-)  When you started at IBM, you were often the only woman doing your job.  Women math majors who chose a career over babies were rare in the 1950s!



I've known you through your close family passing away, a husband passing away, pets passing, ... and now you passing.  Surely you will be inside the pearly gates by now, running with the animals, visiting with your father and sister, maybe an old lover or two..., but the biggest thrill must be taking big, giant, deep breaths, in and out, and feeling no pain.





PS: This was posted in the Santa Cruz Sentinel, December 16, 2005



Margaret MacPhee

Margaret Maggi S MacPhee, age 74, of Aptos, passed away Tuesday December 13, 2005. Born August 6, 1931 in Muskegon, MI to the late Dora Moon and Archer Sampson. Maggi graduated from Occidental College and built a successful career as a computer analyst.



Maggi was a long time resident of the Santa Cruz area and had been a member of the local welcome group, and The Ladies Who Lunch group. She was also active in the local PC club and spent time serving on the Board of Directors.



Maggi was a lover of animals and in her life had several horses, dogs, cats and birds as part of her family.



Preceded in death by her husband, William MacPhee, and her sister, Janet Sampson Barone. Survived by her step daughter Marcelle MacPhee Krause of California, nieces, Missy Barone of Moreno Valley, CA, Patti Barone of Canton, OH, and Karen Barone of Richmond, VA, and brother-in-law, Robert Barone of Canton, OH.



Funeral services will be held Tuesday, December 20, 2005 at 11 a.m. at Benito and Azzaro Pacific Gardens Chapel with Rev. Richard Bowman officiating.  Friends may call Monday, December 19 from 4 p.m until 8 p.m.



No comments:

Post a Comment