Thursday, December 1, 2005

Yarn Preferences & Scarf Pattern

I'm old fashioned.  I don't like the new eyelash yarns or the faux fur crap.  I'm not a big fan of bulky yarns.  In fact my favorite yarns are sock yarns, fingering weight (called "Super Fine, 1" in the current lingo).  Lace weight (too fine to have a weight name) is nice too.  DK weight ("Fine", 2) is okay too.



I recently bought some Chunky weight ("Bulky", 5) weight to make a hat, but it wasn't bulky enough, so I've decided to make a scarf with it instead.  It's kind of a Seaman's Scarf, and so far it's not that much fun to work.  Here's the Untested pattern.  A picture and more notes are in a subsequent post.



Update (10/20/2006): My memory is iffy, but I'm almost certain I had about 200 yards of this Creative Focus Chunky yarn.



CO 30 sts.



Pattern Stitch.
Row 1: K3, P3.
Row 2: P3, K3.



Repeat Rows 1 & 2 for 14 inches, ending with the completion of a Row 2.



Ribbing Row 1: K all sts. (right side row)
Ribbing Row 2: P3, K1, P2, K1, P3, K2, P1, K1, P2, K1, P1, K2, P3, K1, P2, K1, P3 (wrong side row)
Ribbing Row 3: K3, P1, K2, P1, K3, P2, K1, P1, K2, P1, K1, P2, K3, P1, K2, P1, K3 (right side row, purl the purls and knit the knits)



Repeat Ribbing Rows 2 and 3 for 12 - 14 inches, ending with a completed Row 2.  Repeat Ribbing Row 1.



Beginning with a Row 2, work pattern stitch for 14 inches (Thanks 'pfirsch' for the correction!).



Cast off.



__________________________________________





Here is the chart, abbreviated.  ("|" = Knit on right side.  "-" = Purl on right side)



---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||  (Pattern Row 1)

|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---  (Pattern Row 2) (Repeat 2&1, 14")


||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||  (Ribbing Row 1)


|||-||-|||--|-||-|--|||-||-|||  (Ribbing Row 2&3)

|||-||-|||--|-||-|--|||-||-|||  (Ribbing Row 2&3) (Rep 12-14")


||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||  (Ribbing Row 1)


|||---|||---|||---|||---|||---  (Pattern Row 2)

---|||---|||---|||---|||---|||  (Pattern Row 1) (Rep 1 & 2 for 14")



2 comments:

  1. Beginning with a Row 2, work pattern stitch for 14 sts
    I think you meant to say 14 ins. ;)
    How much yarn did it take to make the blue scarf? I am trying to figure out if I have enough yarn to make this or not. Thanks for posting this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pfirsch, for the correction. I think I bought about 220 yards of the yarn and it was enough for a scarf and a headband.

    ReplyDelete