Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Narnia

Movie PosterSeveral reviewers think The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (A) is just for kids.  The NY Times says, "... we grown-ups, being heavy, are not so easily swept away by visual tricks...."  Well, excuse me!  I guess I'm heading early on into my second childhood, because I thought this was a good movie.



There is much made of C.S. Lewis's writing as it relates to religion.  Let some university class spend time on the symbolism.  I was enjoying the story of god against evil, though I did dread the final battle scene that always comes in a movie about good vs. evil.  Fortunately there was no blood in the battle, though there was plenty of violence.



If you don't know the story, go find the book.  My favorite part was that of Aslan, voiced by Liam Neeson.  What a lovely voice he has.  Tilda Swinton was very good as the White Witch.  And Jim Broadbent, as the Professor, is wonderful.  I'll just bet Mr. Broadbent is a very nice man.



No comments:

Post a Comment