Friday, April 21, 2006

Fudge and Quilting

Table Yesterday we had friends over for fudge making and quilt making.  I have started a tradition of bringing something home baked into the library every Saturday.  This week it will be Pat's Mama's Fudge Cake.  We had some for desert yesterday and it's yummy and gooey. 



Donna tried to teach me how to do a little quilting.  P&D gave me a small wall hanging kit for my birthday this year and I hadn't done a thing with it.  Donna's mission was to help me learn enough to put it together.  We traced the design onto some iron-on sticky paper, cut out the little flowers and stems, peeled the sticky paper off, and then stuck the flower stems onto the background cloth.  So far, so good.  Then came the sewing.  With Donna's expert help I attempted to zigzag stitch around the curves and points of the plant.  I'm terrible at it!  Donna says she'll come back again to help some more.  In the meantime, I'm going to try and find a clear foot for my sewing machine so I can see enough to zigzag in the proper place instead of blindly sew where there is not little plant stem or pointy place.  So far I haven't decided to give up knitting, but I will finish this thing.



The yard is finally showing its Spring, so yesterday I hooked up the fountain, blew the fallen wisteria petals off the patio, and refilled the bird feeder.  Here are some pictures taken yesterday.



2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, homemade fudge - haven't done that for too long. Your garden pictures are lovely, I'm very envious of your wisteria as we have managed to kill two here in North East England.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gill, the wisteria looks great this time of year, but during the summer you have to prune it every hour or it takes over the world. Right now it's starting to climb around the TV cable line and if I don't do something about it soon there will be no tv reception :-)
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck with wisteria, but you have other things to make up for it... maybe a rhododendron or azalia?
    Cheers,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete